A bond between mother and daughter begins from the very moment a women senses her child in her womb. Followed by an overwhelming sensation that can only be described as your heart opening and unfolding in ways you never could imagine. Flooded by an unbelievable sense of love and purpose, you realize, why you.
Anne Lamott Simply stated, “I don’t remember who said this, but there are places in the heart you don’t even know exist until you love a child.”
As time moves forward and you watch her grow, as your relationships and emotions shift. All the while the love for your daughter grows, and bonds are strengthened through mother-daughter time, words of encouragement and support, honestly and often times, simply listening to each other. It becomes a delicate balance of one part mom, one part friend, and one part unconditional.
Jessica Alba said it perfectly, “I wish there were two of me and 48 hour days so I could get everything done. But for me, I have not to try and think that everything has to be perfect all the time and leave error. As long as my kids feel loved and a priority, everything really is secondary.”
From June Cleaver to Beyoncé
Like our relationships, even our images of a mother, has evolved from the June Cleaver to dynamic women such as Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian. Modern day mothers are homemakers, business women, artists and passionate beings. Women, full expression. Today’s mother-daughter relationships built on loving bonds share common passions, such as music, art and design.
With so many beautiful examples of mothers and daughters, I would love to share with you 10 of our favorite mother and daughter quotes that ring true in all of our lives:
1. “She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn’t take them along.” –Margaret Culkin Banning
2. “I don’t remember who said this, but there are places in the heart you don’t even know exist until you love a child.”
– Anne Lamott
3. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.”
– Linda Wooten
4. “[Having a daughter] just gives you purpose and all of the things that my self-esteem was associated with, it’s all completely different…”
5. “There is no perfect way to be a good mother… but a million ways to be a good one.”
6. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.”
- Maya Angelou
7. “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.”
- Jane Sellman
8. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.”
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
9. “My mother … had a very deep inner spirituality that allowed her to rebuild her life. It’s extraordinary that she had such a strong sense of self and such a commitment to the future and such a strong creative sense that she could build new worlds for herself and for us out of the total devastation in her life.”
- Caroline Kennedy
10. “My mother has always been my emotional barometer and my guidance. I was lucky enough to get to have one woman who truly helped me through everything.”
Whether you are a mother or a daughter, your bond is sealed with love, friendship, and unconditional support. Maintaining a relationship, at times will take some effort. However, it’s work that is worth any amount of money or time; as there is no stronger bond than that between a mother and a daughter. With that lifetime bond be sure to talk, laugh, create, get passionate and experience those special moments only a mother and daughters could have. It won’t always be easy, but the love and the journey will be beautiful!