A bond between mother and daughter begins from the very moment a women senses her child in her womb. Followed by an overwhelming sensation that can only be described as your heart opening and unfolding in ways you never could imagine. Flooded by an unbelievable sense of love and purpose, you realize, why you.
Anne Lamott Simply stated, “I don’t remember who said this, but there are places in the heart you don’t even know exist until you love a child.”
As time moves forward and you watch her grow, as your relationships and emotions shift. All the while the love for your daughter grows, and bonds are strengthened through mother-daughter time, words of encouragement and support, honestly and often times, simply listening to each other. It becomes a delicate balance of one part mom, one part friend, and one part unconditional.
Jessica Alba said it perfectly, “I wish there were two of me and 48 hour days so I could get everything done. But for me, I have not to try and think that everything has to be perfect all the time and leave error. As long as my kids feel loved and a priority, everything really is secondary.”
From June Cleaver to Beyoncé
Like our relationships, even our images of a mother, has evolved from the June Cleaver to dynamic women such as Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian. Modern day mothers are homemakers, business women, artists and passionate beings. Women, full expression. Today’s mother-daughter relationships built on loving bonds share common passions, such as music, art and design.
With so many beautiful examples of mothers and daughters, I would love to share with you 10 of our favorite mother and daughter quotes that ring true in all of our lives:
1. “She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn’t take them along.” –Margaret Culkin Banning
2. “I don’t remember who said this, but there are places in the heart you don’t even know exist until you love a child.”
– Anne Lamott
3. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had, and dealing with fears you didn’t know existed.”
– Linda Wooten
4. “[Having a daughter] just gives you purpose and all of the things that my self-esteem was associated with, it’s all completely different…”
5. “There is no perfect way to be a good mother… but a million ways to be a good one.”
6. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.”
- Maya Angelou
7. “The phrase ‘working mother’ is redundant.”
- Jane Sellman
8. “Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.”
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
9. “My mother … had a very deep inner spirituality that allowed her to rebuild her life. It’s extraordinary that she had such a strong sense of self and such a commitment to the future and such a strong creative sense that she could build new worlds for herself and for us out of the total devastation in her life.”
- Caroline Kennedy
10. “My mother has always been my emotional barometer and my guidance. I was lucky enough to get to have one woman who truly helped me through everything.”
Whether you are a mother or a daughter, your bond is sealed with love, friendship, and unconditional support. Maintaining a relationship, at times will take some effort. However, it’s work that is worth any amount of money or time; as there is no stronger bond than that between a mother and a daughter. With that lifetime bond be sure to talk, laugh, create, get passionate and experience those special moments only a mother and daughters could have. It won’t always be easy, but the love and the journey will be beautiful!
Accepting change is not always easy, in fact, it can be really hard. However, change cannot be helped or avoided. So instead of fighting the universe, and circumstances, I’ve learned that without sadness, we cannot fully experience joy; and without change we can’t grow. As hard as it may seem, the journey of life, and all the unexpected experiences is where real beauty is found. If you can experience both the spiritual and the human experience – well, that is our purpose!
The older I get I can see all these stages I have gone through. Through each and every stage, I thought most definitively, “this is who I am.” Yet as wisdom declares, “the only consistent is change.”
Changes that occurs unexpectedly alter days, months, or years of our life. This doesn’t just include, status, interests, and styles. Instead, the change we go through is all of that, plus, emotional intelligence and our physical makeup. The fact is, like it or not, changes will always appear in your life; and often times we didn’t even realize it was happening until your already in the middle of it or even past it.
Consider this, what did you most look forward to, let us say three years ago? Is that exactly the same thing you look forward to now? I would guess not. If it is similar, I would think it has been re-centered, refocused with additional elements to it. Let me get personal with this, I started as a instrumentalists, became a DJ, began writing about music, had a spiritual awakening due to my experience with music, studied metaphysics, changed my life, and now I am a professional writer promoting wellness, love and spirituality. What an unexpected transformation!
Admittedly, each phase wasn’t always easy. I had a number of growing pains learning about pride, intent, trust, faith and acceptance. As I look back on the past 10 years, I find it helpful to envision my past as story. With all the twists and turns, and lessons learned, I had to ask myself “would I read that book?” For me, the answer to my story is, yes I would read that. I accept my past, I accept the changes that has occurred and the changes to come. Not just because, it’s unavoidable, but because changes provide a rich life, full of all the ranges of emotions and experiences. So before you create anxiety over the many stages of your life or the one you may be going through right now; ask yourself this… Without the plot twists, lessons, textures and richness in your life, would you read your book?
Our journey is our purpose, so embrace change, and all that comes along with being you. Most importantly, how can you accept change? You can accept each experience in love. With love, you will see that change can be the most exciting and beautiful moments of your life!